Tuesday, June 3, 2008

First Sporting event (Baseball) in US




Its 30th May, the date we went to watch the baseball match at Anaheim in Califronia. This was my first official sport event in US, my first baseball match. Although i have seen my university (USC) play against number of other universities in US, they are played at school but not professional level. The match between home team LA angels versus Toronto's blue Jays was an interesting one. We four (Sean, Cameron, me and Matt) started from home around 5.45 pm. They seemed more excited than me. Baseball is not an official sport in India and neither do people play it. About myself, all i remember watching this sport at home when cable was new in India. Because it mimics cricket in some ways was probably the reason i would be glued to my TV set in India, nevertheless not familiar with all rules.



This excursion to watch the baseball match brought true one of my dreams. I wanted to witness New York Yankees play against Mets team last summer during my internship at Goldman Sachs in NY but never got the oppurtunity. We did a pregame before we left for the match which means to drink and drink..:) which actually sets you in a mood beforehand. We picked few hamburgers on our way. It was friday evening and so its rush on the roads. So while we reach, i see the anaheim stadium with a prominent "A" representing LA Angels. Lot of people dressed in red T's to support and cheer for their home team. Let me tell you that LA Angels team hails from Anaheim, California while the actual Los Angeles team is LA dodgers. We parked our car and started drinking more beer.


We may have been an inning late to the game which was fine. As we got in, it was spectacular as roughly 42000 people were seated in the stadium. Never ever have i seen such a big mass of crowd mostly in red as i mentioned earlier. Lush green ground and 2 teams competing with each other. I was seated next to Cameron and asking him lot of questions about the game. I came to know that if a ball hit by a batsmen (striker actually..lol) arrives into the stadium stands, people keep it and the game resumes with a new or old ball unlike in cricket.


I had a strong intuition that LA Angeles would clinch the match. A favorite way to enjoy the baseball match is with beer and hotdog, its simply awesome. America is very strict with giving beer to those only above 21 so if you are new to India, make sure you have your government ID or license or Passport. Well, i didnt drink more at the stadium as i was already buzzing on my way. The game was fun, sw lot of hot blonde and brunette chicks. Another thing to note is that even women whether young or old are very enthusiastic about any game. There is almost equal proportion of men and women to watch the game whether baseball or football.


India showcasts a different picture where household woman or even gals hardly come out to watch any game. Not that they dont have any interest, duties call more for them. Also, average women in US drinks far more than any average Indian women. Culture and social life of americans has to be attributed to this fact. I think in one match i learnt a lot. It was a night match and in the end, the best team Toronto won the match. I could see LA fans leaving the stadium in advance much to their dismay and disappointment. I was disappointed too :( I took several shots in and out of the stadium. Lot of fireworks in the end for friday game. I'll remember this day, i had loads of fun !

No comments: