Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Happy Diwali 2008



First of all, a very Happy Diwali to all Indians !
This will be my 3rd Diwali in US ever since i have been here. The first year diwali memories of mine are still fresh, all indians at bovard auditorium at USC (University of Southern California) celebrating, dancing and wishing each other. No fireworks ofcourse ! And at home, i had not lit any candles to get a feling of diwali at home. This was not intentional, how can it be? Just that i was part of an organising commitee for Diwali celebration at USC and may have been busy.

2nd year i was staying with my American roomies and i took one of them to the same auditorium for a cultural show. This time i wasnt part of any commitee so i should say i had the time to lit candles outside my house. I did take some snaps of it and upload it on orkut, facebook. I made sure my roommate wore the Indian ethnic Kurta i gave him. We both looked great especially me in my saffron kurta !

This is the 3rd year, the dampest diwali of mine with no one around. Let me remind you that last 2 diwali's i was a student at USC but now a full time employee. Today is Tuesday, a mid day where even if you want to celebrate, you may not. This BTW is for Indians residing in US, Indians home are still celebrating Diwali on Tuesday, isn't it? So to start where i left, this is my first diwali in US while on job. Everyone is so busy with work. It indeed was a very busy today. Even Indians have no time to wish each other. Am getting the feeling there are more chinese in my office than Indians but as if i care for now. Mail fwding of nature jokes etc is kind of low in the industry i work for because evey mail you send is scrutinised and checked. Perhaps, someone then doesnt want to send but i did. Why should I stop wishing others if others dont? Mailing was one another way i could reach out to my friends who are working in different office locations. I would have sent mail to atleast 30 people and just got 6 replies. What the #$%^ ! If you are very well reading my blog, you very well know my nature that i aint sending mails for receiving any compliment that Sidharth took the initiative and send diwali greeting mail in office. But isnt it a spontaneous reaction you would be expecting when you wish someone Happy Diwali either through mail or in person. I still cant believe i just got 6 replies. Its not that my respect for other 24 has gone down, but i did expect them to see and wish in person if not through mail. One of the senior manager i mailed wished me in person. And i know that everyone had checked their mails as i mailed everyone yesterday and today is Tuesday. When i asked a fellow mate about his plans to celebrate, i was shocked when he said "What do you mean how will i celebrate Diwali. You know how it works here" ? Well, what kind of reply or question was that. I know Diwali in US wont be as like in India but was looking forward to him telling me much more that question. He didnt look at me again and went to his desk. Someone wished me today too on mail (infact one). Am i justified in expressing my anguish or do i expect too much out of life? I can wait till tomorrow but am disappointed at this moment from people i expected instant reply. After all, just because you work in NY makes you super busy huh? Diwali is very cold here guys just like the weather of NYC......Ill meet you next year telling my new experiences, till then have fun and be safe !!!

Rgds
Sidharth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is going to be some bring old article, but it really compensated for my time. I will postedthe trackback to the article on my blog. I am sure ours visitors will thought this very useful