Sunday, February 28, 2010

My Name is Khan - A reviewer's critique


So after watching "Kaal" and "Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna", it wasn't in my idea to watch another Karan Johar film. I read the reviews online and found the movie is doing pretty well not only in India but in US too. Infact, its become the biggest bollywood grosser of all times. Ok, i wont go into all those details and come straight to my views on film. I went to this movie last week with my buddy at Newport Mall, New Jersey. Suprised, US theatres are playing Hindi movies now with english subtitles.
I was told the movie is 3 hrs long and i wasnt in the mood too but decided to go for SRK (Shah Rukh Khan). As the movie begins, you are not really sure whats happening. SRK finding itineary plans of President George bush online. You must have seen the dialogue "My name is Khan and I am not a t......" flashing on your TV screen several times and making you intrigued. This was too the case with me. I was very curious as to what the film is all about...it was SRK, US, t* connection etc. SRK plays a character of an autistic patient in the film and delivers a superb performance but am not sure if patients like him are so smart and intellectual in real world but anything is possible in Karan Johar's film. Kajol on the other hand comes very close to an autistic patient and eventually marries him. The film is fast paced in first half and slow and emotional in 2nd. So emotional that it brought tears in my eyes. The chemistry of SRK and Kajol is phenominal and has improved a long way since DDLJ time. She is abosolutely intense in her roles. I loved the part where after the unfortunate death of her son, she blames SRK and his last name "Khan" for all her misfortunes. Tensions arise in this family after Sept 9'11 attacks on americans and how it affects a common muslim's mans life. SRK in the shoes of an autistic patient does justice to his role and goes beyond any common man's imagination. He was perfect in his role !
Events in the film must have been real as most of us know from the facts stemming around us. The movie is deep, touching and evokes strong emotions. All other characters do a great job in supporting the film from its base and cinematography is good especially shots taken when SRK is riding on a cab. Karan johar does a fantastic job in director's seat and picks a subject and theme that's compelling and strong. We all human beings can easily connect to this film. A must watch film with family, a good one after a long time. I''ll recommend this movie to everyone and rate the film at 9/10. Go watch it and you have your answers. The trio rocks......

No comments: