Thursday, January 9, 2014

23 Random Things About Me:


23 Random Things About Me:

1.      I am a big fan of University of Southern California (USC) College Football and wear Number #18 Cardinal Trojan Jersey each weekend USC plays. I have met former football coaches Pete Carroll and Lane Kiffin and former Quarterback Matt Barkley in person and got their autographs signed on my jersey. Coming from India, I didn’t know anything about College Football until my American roommates explained the game. Today I am passionate about my school game and the NFL.
2.       I cannot start my day without drinking 2-3 cups of strong Indian tea mixed with herbs and other spices. I will carry my tea leaves and herbs if I know the place I’ll be staying doesn’t have it.
3.       I cook everyday and pack my breakfast and lunch to office. In the past, I have hosted dinner parties at my place and cooked food (vegetarian/non-vegetarian) for at least 15-20 people. My colleagues think I am a good chef besides a good software tester.
4.       I have 2 tricolor flags at home, 1 flag at office and a pair of cufflinks with Indian flag on it.
5.       I have composed more than 70 poems in English and Hindi to express myself. My poem themes are romance, fiction, nonfiction, reality, emotions etc. Some of my poems can be found at http://www.poetsindia.com/poet/Sidharth+Kumar/
6.       I have composed a 36 page Hollywood playwright script with dialogues, camera angles, sound effects etc. The script is called “Replica” (a thriller) and is about reincarnation of life.
7.       I am the first in my family to have run a half-marathon, first to study in America and the first who will attain double master degrees.
8.       I was judged “Mr. Generous” unanimously in a class of 50 students in a 6th grade competition at school. I never expected this to come but felt honored upon receiving the appreciation.
9.       When it comes to beer, I mostly buy Molson beer from Liquor stores. I went on to convince my friends to meet at an authentic Canadian bar located very far in Brooklyn and try Molson beers and Poutine, a Canadian delicacy.
10.   I founded the largest Indian community group in Newport, Jersey City on Facebook named “Indians @Newport”. The group started with 4 USC graduates and today has approx 2000 members. Events are professional networking based and happen in Jersey City and New York. Also, I recently concluded my first networking event in Toronto in another group “Indians @Toronto”.
11.   I use the word #Jaali frequently on Facebook, Twitter and even while talking. Most of my friends have also started to use this word. #Jaali is a Hindi word which means Fake.
12.   Besides being social, my friends also describe me as funny and humorous.
13.   My friends call me “Paaji” which means elder brother. This started off as a joke at USC and now everyone calls me with this name.
14.   My shirts are from UK, trousers from USA, shoes from China and belts from India.
15.   I regret my decision of not joining the Indian Army when I was 17 and had the opportunity to. My father served as a Commander in the Indian Navy and so I wanted to join Navy only. Today I feel the force doesn’t matter, what matters is your willingness to serve the country.
16.   On 3 occasions when I totally disliked Indian food being served in a restaurant that was rated very high and good on yelp, I got frustrated and decided to come up with an Indian version of yelp.
17.   I love ties. Sometimes I have dreamt of going to bed sleeping with a tie. Lot of my Indian friends asked me to help make a tie knot for them at USC.
18.   I founded IndoRendezvous.com, an event management hub and startup that will consolidate all Indian events happening in Jersey City and New York. I also started another venture called NJDesi.com, a platform where local Indian-American entities in the Newport/Jersey City/New Jersey area can advertise their businesses and/or promote any upcoming events. 
19.   I am a big believer of Hindu God Shiva and will worship Shiva in temple.
20.   I have a twin sister who is 2 minutes younger than me. We are fraternal twins and do not resemble at all. While growing we always fought about who was elder.  
21.   I have organized, administered and managed 100+ events in my Indian group. 
22.   Today considered very social and extrovert by my friends, once I was an introvert.
23.   I wear a gold earring in my left ear, an Indian custom for bringing good luck. At first, I wasn’t interested but I am simply respecting my mother’s faith.

No comments: